J. Edward Taylor
Professor, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Director, Rural Economics of the Americas and Pacific Rim (REAP)
Office: 2107 Social Sciences and Humanities
- Economic Development
- Population and Resources
- Labor Economics
- Economywide Modeling and Applied Microeconomics
J. Edward Taylor is Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics (ARE) and Director of the Center on Rural Economies of the Americas and Pacific Rim (REAP) at the University of California, Davis, where he teaches courses on international development economics and econometric methods. He is also co-editor of theAmerican Journal of Agricultural Economics and founder of the alternative textbook initiative, RebelText.org. Taylor has written extensively on the economy-wide impacts of agricultural and development policies and on immigration. He co-authored Worlds in Motion: Understanding International Migration at the End of the Millennium (Oxford University Press) and was appointed by the U.S. Commission on Immigration Reform to serve on the Binational Study of Mexico-U.S. Migration. He is listed in Who’s Who in Economics and has advised a number of foreign governments and international development agencies, including The World Bank, United Nations, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, and Inter-American Development Bank. In recent years his research has been featured in The Economist, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Atlantic, Los Angeles Times, National Public Radio, and the Washington Post.
Relevant Research for the Migration Research Cluster
- Taylor, J. Edward, Mateusz Filipski, Mohamad Alloush, et. al., "Economic impact of refugees." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Volume 113, Number 27 (2016), 7449-7453.
- Charlton, Diane, Taylor, J. Edward. "A Declining Farm Workforce: Analysis of Panel Data from Rural Mexico." American Journal of Agricultural Economics (2016).
- Taylor, J. Edward, et. al. Research Project: "Structural Change in Mexican Agriculture and the Farm Labor Supply" (2015).
- Taylor, J. Edward, Mateusz Filipski, Justin Kagin, et. al., "International Migration, Remittances, and the Impact of the Great Recession on Rural Mexico" in Beyond Experiments in Development Economics: Local Economy-wide Impact Evaluation, Oxford University Press (2014).
- Taylor, J. Edward and Mateusz Filipski, “Economy-wide Impact Evaluation" in Beyond Experiments in Development Economics Local Economy-wide Impact Evaluation, Oxford University Press (2014).
- Taylor, J. Edward, Diane Charlton, and Antonio Yúnez-Naude, “The End of Farm Labor Abundance.” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 34 (2012), 587-598.